Sunday, March 8, 2009

Joy in the Journey

"Gratefulness is the key to a happy life that we hold in our hands, because if we are not grateful, then no matter how much we have we will not be happy -- because we will always want to have something else or something more."
-David Steindl Rast

As of late I've been feeling a bit self-centered. I get so stressed out and so caught up in myself that I get sucked into that self-centered world. I hate it. I get frazzled and in order to balance my world I feel like I have to go into an "isolation mode" where I ignore everyone around me in order to get things done. Along with this I get caught up in the mind set of well once I get ____ done, I'll have fun or Once this week is over, I'll have fun. BAD, BAD, BAD! My experience: it's horrible and makes matters worse. If you do this, STOP! Stop it right now!

So, here and now I'm going to stop thinking this way. You should too. Each day is an opportunity to learn and to grow. And let's be completely honest for a moment, do you honestly think that one day you're going to be finished doing everything and then you'll have all this time to have fun? No! I certainly hope not because you're probably dead. Life will never be perfect so that we have a set amount of time to have "fun." And how do you define fun? I think it can be defined in an infinite number of ways and differs for each person. Fun can be had peeling wallpaper with your family, cleaning, going on walk, or just talking. And those my friends, are some ideas that hardly scratch the surface.

Here's my pledge and my challenge to myself and to you (from President Thomas S. Monson (the current leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, of which I am a member):
"Send that note to the friend you’ve been neglecting; give your child a hug; give your parents a hug; say “I love you” more; always express your thanks. Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved. Friends move away, children grow up, loved ones pass on. It’s so easy to take others for granted, until that day when they’re gone from our lives and we are left with feelings of “what if” and “if only.” Said author Harriet Beecher Stowe, “The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone."
He's got some incredible points. If you have something nice to say, I always think you should say it. Who doesn't like a compliment? A hug? A good chat? And I hope the next time you ask how someone is doing, mean it and listen for their answer. I appreciate it at least.

Stop being afraid and just do it. GO! Stop wishing and start doing! Be grateful for what you've got, what you don't, what you are, and what you can be.

"Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family. One day each of us will run out of tomorrows."-President Monson



5 comments:

Britton said...

Goodness, Gabe. You are amazing.

Britton said...

PS you inspired me to add that quote to my facebook. And my wall. Not my facebook one. The one by my door that I run into sometimes if I'm really tired and it's dark.

Tumblewords: said...

Wise 'listen up'. Well written.

A-Kap said...

I love everything about this post. Thank you for sharing. You are one amazing woman and I love knowing people like you -- and your mom. She is definitely as awesome as you think she is. Joy, joy...love, love.....

Jean said...

oh gabe. that was beautiful. i want to copy that quote too.

that's definitely something everyone struggles with. i struggle with it every single day! it's funny, my dad was just lecturing me about it yesterday, haha. always a good thing to remember. i love you! hope we get to hang out soon. :)