Sunday, June 7, 2009

sunday scribblings: soul mates

"Soul-mates are people who bring out the best in you. They are not perfect but are always perfect for you." -Author Unknown

When it comes to love.....

....no I don't believe in just one soul mate. There are several reasons for this and I don't feel like going into detail because I have something else to say about the matter. What I will say about love and soul mates is I believe over time that mate (for lack of a better, general term) becomes your soul mate. That also means that yes, I do believe more than one person can become your soul mate. It makes perfect sense to me. Over the years and decades you are together, you get to know each other on a more intimate level than ever fathomed or comprehended. You learn every little thing and quirk about each other; You learn likes and dislikes about silly things; You learn to predict reactions to certain things and he or she to you. You become one. You become soul mates.

I do think soul mates exist when it comes to friends. I have several people in my life who have profoundly influenced me and I am absolutely certain our friendship was divinely appointed, indeed soul friendmates (new word??). For one-my mom. I'm certain we were meant to have each other in this life. If not for her, for me. I know I may sound like a broken record, but I really can't tell you how amazing and how highly I think of my mom; she is the most incredible woman ever. What she has done and does for my brothers and me is, at a very fundamental level, the epitome of motherly love. She teaches me something every day and it's always some way to better myself, even though it might not like it or know it...yet.

"What is a friend? A single soul in two bodies."- Aristotle

Jenna and Shawna. Jenna Jo and I have been friends for, gosh, 16 years! WOW! Shawna and I have been friends for 3 1/2 years (ironically enough, through Jenna). I'm quite certain we were the dearest of friends in the life before this. There's the quote that goes something like Best friends are the sisters God forgot to give us or something like that. That's what I think of Jenna and Shawna. I don't have any sisters and these two are about as good as it gets. I love them dearly and can't even begin to tell you how blissful that make my life!

5 comments:

Whitesnake said...

Dont ya just love all the different views on this subject......yours was great....

Tumblewords: said...

A great read - nicely written and well defined!

gautami tripathy said...

My best friend of 26 years is one of my soulmates!

stuck in time

Lion-ess said...

so true.. I have some friends that no matter what I dont want to give up..
http://lion-essence.blogspot.com/2009/06/soul-mate.html

The Gobbles said...

Gabe, sorry I don't know if you knew that I blog stalk you but yes I think that we had to have been best friends in the life before this too. Also I am so lucky for the two of you too, you are my sisters!

P.S. Can't wait to see you in like a week!