Monday, April 2, 2012

Georgia Peach

This is where I am right now. 
Picture from here
I'm in Atlanta. 

I've never been here so I'm pretty excited. Except, I don't know that I'll get to see much of the city. My boss told me that I'll probably meet lots of cool people and go out. I hope so. I'd at least like to see the downtown. Truthfully, I really, really, really, really, really, really, really want to go to Drybar. No, it's not a bar; it's a hair salon and they only do blow outs and I would love to have one because I never have. Plus it would just be something fun to do in a new place especially since they are only located in a very select few cities. Plus I forgot to pack a brush--HOW DID I FORGET THIS!?!?!--so they could just do my hair for me and I wouldn't have to worry about it. Thank goodness for spider clips, which will act as my brush for the next 3 days. And thank goodness for curly hair which can mask my lack of brushing...sometimes. Let's hope my hair cooperates. 

So, I arrived in Atlanta and--fun fact!!!--apparently the Atlanta airport is one of the busiest in the nation. Well, it certainly was busy and on the escalator up to baggage claim I was sandwiched between to legit Englishmen and their accents were FABulous. It made me chuckle listening to their banter. I arrived at the hotel at dinner time and was starving. Dilemma! Do I wander down and eat in one of the two restaurants in the hotel or...starve...or wander around the area looking for something...or...take a taxi somewhere. Nah. So finally after an hour of debating I wandered downstairs. I could sit at the bar with a bunch of old men and watch ESPN--tempting, and by that I was referring to ESPN--OR try the restaurant. The restaurant won. I thought I was going to feel super awkward going in by myself, but I felt oddly fabulous and empowered asking for a table for one. The scene that came to mind is the scene from "The First Wives Club" when Bette Midler goes out to eat by herself, which I always thought was so cool. Thankfully my circumstances are not the same. 
Picture here
I had no literature with me, so I felt kind of silly, so all I could do was sit and ponder and think and, my favorite, eavesdrop! 

Then I was faced the the dilemma of ordering. I love food a lot, if you couldn't tell, so ordering for me is always an ordeal. I finally nailed it down to salmon or a turkey burger. The selling point? Sweet potato fries. Saturday I had the best waffle fries ever (I loooooooooooooooooooooooove waffle fries. As in, they are right up their with my mom's secret recipe brownies and Lago's ice cream) so I kept thinking about fries and finally I just indulged and ordered the burger and fries. It was pretty good. The fries were a little lacking in taste but whatev. 
Now I'm watching Kansas vs. Kentucky and I'm in DIRE need of a snack. I'm so desperate for a snack that I even resorted to vending machines only to find that after changing out of my PJs and back into my jeans to walk down the hall that the "vending machines" are really only soda machines. 
I might starve before breakfast tomorrow.  Oy vay. 

No comments: