Tuesday, August 5, 2008

my quote

Why did I choose my quote? Well first let me just say that I love quotes. I don't know why but I just do. Perhaps it's because I find many of them to be inspiring and I do enjoy being inspired.

I chose Oliver Wendell Holmes because when I chose the quote, I had just finished "The Bone Garden" by Tess Gerritsen (FABulous author!) where Holmes was a character in the book. He is a real person (a physician and later in life a writer), perhaps best known for his argument that puerperal fever (a fatal disease of women giving birth) that was carried by physicians and nurses from woman to woman because they often would go straight from touching dead and/or sick women to the insides of pregnant women. Thus he argued that doctors and nurses should WASH THEIR HANDS before touching patients as well as clean their instruments and burn the clothing worn while assisting in deliveries. Amazing! We have Holmes and Ignaz Semmelwies to thank for introducing this simple and quite literally live-saving practice into our world. But I digress, fascinating though don't you think??? I do!....

I LOVED the book and really liked Holmes' character and when I read the quote I knew it was perfect because it sums up a foundational belief I have for my life. I have faith and enthusiasm for life in general. I have an appetite for life-I like to get up early and go to bed late because I like to make the most of my time every day....even though this often leaves me sleep deprived......
Also I have lots and lots of plans and dreams for my life. I mean lots. There are tons of places I want to visit, things I want to do, things I want to experience, food I want to eat, sites I yearn to see, cultures I want to be a part of, lots and lots of plans. But here I am now, 20 (almost 21!) working 2 jobs, 45-60 hours a week and why do I do it? Because I am enthusiastic for what each day brings. Granted, not every day is exciting but I do enjoy my jobs, the people I work with, the personalities, the laughs---oooh the laughs!----, and the experiences because they help me mature and grow. And I know that working this hard will pay off. I enjoy working hard. Odd perhaps but it's just so rewarding! No not everyday is peachy but I do get better at things every day (case in point: patience, the development of thick skin, and learning not to take things personally in dealing with obnoxious, rude, impatient patients, co-workers, customers, and the general public. Don't get me started on customer service...I'll save that rant for another day!)
But really, life is hard and sometimes it down right sucks but I do have faith in something, lots of things actually-that there is something to learn in this life and things to go through to refine us and I look forward to the good and the bad of each day. I can't end this without saying religion is a HUGE part of my life. It's taught me A GREAT deal about faith and having that knowledge certainly makes me enthusiastic for life. And it's true what they say-it's the simple things in life that are worth living for (hence the picture of my swing; I'm absolutely BLISSFUL just swinging for hours)
Life is good, really. Hard, frustrating, stressful, fun, thrilling, funny, amazing, and good. I can't complain. I'm happy.

1 comment:

Tumblewords: said...

How lovely! Sounds like you've got a good life going! Love it!