Tuesday, September 16, 2008

21....


Today I turned 21!!!!! I hope this good feeling foreshadows a good year.....
It was probably one of the best birthdays ever. Nothing extraordinary or anything. I had an informal party yesterday and so many of my friends came. When I am surrounded by my dearest friends I become ecstatic, quite literally. I become SO happy. I can't stop smiling and laughing. I love to be around people and it was just one of the best times of my life. As an end result (well...that and eating cake, brownies, and rice crispy treats...) I was soooo hyper! I loved it!
Here is a list of things I've learned in the 21 years of my short life (in no particular order):

1. Be courteous ALWAYS. This has always been a big thing for me. I guess it's because one of my biggest pet peeves is when people aren't courteous enough to open doors, hold doors, return phone calls, texts, say "please" and "thank you," just think about other people before yourself. Just be considerate, to EVERYONE.

2. Be happy. Life really isn't so awful that you can't find something to be happy about.

3. Work hard. I'm no genius but I do work hard and it pays off! The best part: it feels so good!

4. Be honest. I've said it before, I'm blunt. I appreciate it when people give me an honest answer too. If you you have a compliment to say to someone, SAY IT. When have you ever received a compliment from someone and it didn't make you smile if only for a few seconds? Never I bet. So, if you have something nice to say to someone...say it! If your friend is being a real jerk to you, tell them. It'll do both you and them some good. Been there, done that. Honesty is so important.

5. Enjoy the little things because they are the most important. The beach, the smell of rain, a smile from a friend, a friend's laughter, flowers, fall, snow, whatever, embrace it!

6. Become friends with your family. You've got 'em for life so enjoy it!

7. Be nice to everyone. I know this is like the first one so maybe I had to repeat for emphasis because I really do think it is that important. For goodness sakes! You really aren't any better than anyone else so stop being so darn prideful and stuck up. People don't like people like that.

8. Be spontaneous and loosen up. I used to be one of those people who set a schedule for every minute of every day and it sucked. Allow for spontaneity because life is so much better that way!!!

9. Find some good friends. It's true what they say: quality is sooo much better than quantity and make sure it's a variety of friends too. Ya know, the honest one, the flirty one, the shopaholic, the bookworm, the tomboy, the charmer, the one who feels like your other half. Find them. Or just find one good friend. A good friend or good friends are essential to life.

10. Do something daring. It's the BEST feeling in the world. It doesn't have to be skydiving but just do something out of your comfort zone that you've wanted to do for forever.

That's all. Hoooray for birthdays!

1 comment:

Aaron said...

I decided to go back and read some of your past posts and this one struck me. I'm pushing 30 and still learning how to embrace a few of these on your list. Thanks for giving me something to think about.