Friday, September 4, 2009

Ode to Flu Season

I think I'm sick.

My roommate forced those four dreaded words through her lips yesterday. She had a sore throat and didn't feel well. Then what happened yesterday evening? I got a sore throat.

National Geographic photo

I'm kind of hoping it's just my body trying to adjust to the horrible dry air of Utah. Give me humidity or give me a bloody nose, dry skin, dry hair, and misery. Yes, I'll take humidity thank you.
But I think it's mental. I don't think we give our mental capacities the credit it (or they?) deserves (deserve). I don't get sick very often, but when I do--BAM!--it's bad. So, I'm going to mentally beat this. I'm going to get over this sore throat and I'm going to be just fine in 3 days. That's right-3. I'm not going to get worse. Nope.
Now on a completely related and rather odd note, I'm going to share with you a little known fact about me. As a child, and still today, I enjoyed getting shots. My mom once told me I would look on as they swabbed my shoulder and then stuck the needle in with fascination. Today, I'm a little more mature and I don't necessarily look on with child-like fascination, but I do watch them. Now I know what they are doing and why and how it works. It's so cool! Vaccinations are AAAAAAMAAAAZING. I'm going to be volunteering soon so that I can get a free flu shot, because once I get over this pre-flu situation, or more optimistically, this adaptation to bone dry air, I don't really want the flu. Yes doc, I'll take one of those please.
So for now, I'm going to go drink some water, squirt some NASTY stuff to coat the back of my throat (and consequently GAG because it takes like grooooooooss cough syrup), and maybe gargle some salt water (it works wonders, seriously).

Three days people. Three and I'll be as fit as a fiddle.

1 comment: