Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Freckles the Nerd

Yes, I'm a nerd. And it's a dang good life.

When I was home for the break, I went to one of my favorite bookstores, Jabberwocky Bookshop, to get my mom a Christmas present. I could spend hours in bookstores, hours. Barnes and Noble, oh goodness it's too overwhelming but I love it. I'd have to make a list of which section I want to visit before I went in there or else I'd just stand there dumbfounded (I never do, but I probably should). When I went to Jabberwocky I, of course, "happen" to--eh hem--walk by the sports section. Ok, ok we all know I'm also a sports junkie and I always like to see what sports books they have. I like to know the random facts about some of the greats, and of course about my beloved Red Sox and Fenway Park. What? It's interesting!!! Anyway, I came across this book that explains how all the cool stuff in sports happens. The science behind it all!

Cha-ching!$$$$$ Science gold!

So I picked it up, thumbed through it, and had to have it. I am one of those annoying people that likes to know why things work the way they do, especially everyday things. So after perusing the book, I learned how Michael Phelps is capable at swimming at such fast speeds; how to throw a curveball, fastball, and splitter; how to properly shoot a 3-pointer (yessss!); and how to bend it like Beckham. Fascinating. I am a nerd.

Today, I was studying up for my Nutrient Biochem class. Yes, it has the potential to be just as awful as it sounds, but also as fascinating as it sounds (which would be why after only 3 classes, I have developed a love/hate relationship with this class). I will be learning, for example, what really happens when you eat a sandwich. COOL huh!??! YES! Anyway, I was reading (and napping, it gets pretty dang dry) when all of sudden I began to read very interesting stuff like....

-how and why physiologically and chemically people have high cholesterol even if they eat a low cholesterol diet

-how caffeine gives you energy (this is SO cool)
-why old people have those brown spots on their hands and arms

Fascinating stuff right?!?!? Ok, well you don't have to think so but I do and if you want to know, I can tell you!!!!
I also learned, after discussing a few things with my professor, that once I get freckles I have them....forever. Which at first I didn't understand because in the winter, they seem to disappear, thus giving me some superhuman power to blend in with the snow. Power to the fairskins! Not so my friends, not so. They just fade and then reappear in the summer. But why? Something with the sun and it's effect on melanin? Hmmm...I'll have to look it up. My professor didn't know either.

So, today was a good day. My inner-nerd was fed and she is very happy.
Back to reading about the cell. Joy. It better be interesting.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Power to the nerds...:)
I just had a wonderfull nerdy day and my inner nerd is also very happy about it.
I really like the style your writing in. Always funny, thoughtfull and real.
greetz
Nora

The Meyers said...

Lol, I'm picturing you and Dr. Parker talking about freckles with serious and contemplative looks on your faces...

Jessica said...

Gabe, I need you to tell me the answers! Please, please, please!

A-Kap said...

I NEED to know the answers...you can't just leave your fellow nerds hanging like this!