Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I need some advice

I need some advice on a job situation. 


I just completed the second interview for a position and will know in about 2 weeks if I am still among the top candidates. If I am, I will either have a 3rd interview on the phone or will fly down to the hospital. Now, the hospital system is impressive and I know I would be working with a good team and would learn a lot. 


The situation is this. I'm young, single, vivacious and would really, really, really prefer to work in a city or near one because, I get bored and would like to be in a place that has a lot going on. I take my social life seriously and I will go out of my mind if I don't have one. Kind of like I am now. The position I am interviewing for is in South Carolina, near Myrtle Beach. Now before you exclaim, Myrtle Beach! Go! Go!, realize that that place is only hopping in the summertime and aside from that the nearest cities are anywhere from 1.5-2 hours away. Bummer. 


So IF I am offered the position (I realize I might be jumping the gun here and might not even  make it to the next round but this is a big decision) what would you do? Take the first job offered to you and suck it up OR say thank you but no thank you and continue applying for jobs in more metropolitan areas to pursue a dream? I'm tempted by both options but realize I'm young an inexperienced thus, I ask you. What would you do? 

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

My opinion is, if you are offered the job, take it. Especially if it is a good position in a good hospital system, and you are entry-level, I would take the job and roll with it. And then, if it really is lonely for you, then in a year or two or something you could start looking around for another one. I guess my opinion is a little jaded, because I spent so long looking for a job never to land one (of course, you are much more qualified than I am at this point) that my knee jerk reaction is to be glad to have gotten a job offer at a good place and go with it. Of course, you have to decide if it feels right and if you really would be completely miserable, then maybe it isn't worth it, but my opinion still is that a job is a very valuable thing and especially if you get a good one, take it.

Tracy said...

to find a job that is in the field you want AND with people/company you like is VERY rare right now, I say if you're offered the job -Take it. Myrtle Beach may only be crazy in the summer/spring but it's still a big enough area to have things to do year long, and the weather is pretty mild so the beach is never not an option. :) Good luck!!

Erica Hansen, MS, RD said...

I'm not young or any more experienced but my gut says TAKE IT! Also, I have a cousin that lives in Myrtle Beach. Let me know if you want to talk to her :)

Aimee said...

Hold out. Maybe try for the DC area. There's lots of Mormons there. Don't lock yourself into a non-social area without a lot of options... if you know what I mean.

Emily D said...

My advice to you is to pray. Heavenly father will let you know if your decision is a good one. Good luck!

The Meyers said...

I'd take it! I mean, South Carolina?!?!?! That is beautiful country, but then again, that is the kind of country that I like - not the big city type. :)