Monday, December 19, 2011

Moms are great

But mine is exceptional.

I had a message on my phone today from my mom. It sounded urgent and went a little something like this:
"Gabe, call me as soon as you get this. Call me at work. Well, I'll be in meeting but call me and leave a message. Or, actually, call my cell and leave me a message. Or, well, call me at home around 5." So after a minute long message of trying to figure out when and where to get a hold of my mom, without the slightest indication of why, I was a little panicked. My mom is pretty level-headed and this sounded urgent, with a dash of frantic.


Well, I called her at work, called her cell, texted her and finally called got a hold of her on her way home.


Now back up for a sec....[cruel isn't it?]


I'm moving to South Carolina. I'm tickled. Except, the reality of the situation has sunk in and I am bipolar about some days: some days I'm tickled and others I'm down right sad and nervous. I'm leaving New England. Boston. My favorite book store in Newburyport. My village. My room. My ward. My friends. Portsmouth. Petey's. LAGOs. I'm happy. Don't get me wrong, but it's a whirlpool of emotions. I do not know a soul down there and that's scary. Exciting, but scary and a little intimidating. Normal, of course, but it's a lot to handle on top of the MOUNDS of paperwork I have to complete for this job. And around the holidays. Geez. Who knew being hired would require so much paperwork??? Jeepers.


I digress.


The situation was as such that I planned to drive myself down there since my apartment is furnished and I have a week to play with to get situated so I can virtually handle it all by myself.....right? 


Wrong.


I freaked. FREAKED. I need my mom. So, I told my mom that I'm her kid and even though I'm 24 and have done this sort of thing before, it is her duty as my mother to come with me and make sure that I am all set. It was actually really funny because when I freak out and my mom tries to tell me a story of when she was my age and drove across the country herself...blah...blah...blah...I kindly remind her that a) this is different; b) I'm her kid; c) I'm not her; and d) It's her duty, and it's just amusing. Because there's a lot of giggling and looks from my mom saying Gabe, REALLY? And me sending her looks that say MOOOOOM PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE?!??!?! COME ON!!!! Then I shook her shoulders and begged, begged her to just come with me and make sure I'm ok. Really I just need her to help me move my stuff in, look around and say, Gabe, everything is going to be just fine (I need this [often] from time to time), and give me a hug and I'll be fine. I may be 24, stubborn, and independent, but I will forever need my mom.  


So fast forward...


My mom found a flight and she wanted to book it stat. So my mom is coming. I will be ok. My mom is coming with me. All will be right.



4 comments:

Jean said...

yay!! my mom came too when i moved to NC. it makes all the difference! so excited to see you!!!!

Ali Khan said...

I ŁӨVέ MY FrĩέNDz

Ali Khan said...

What.

Mary Louise said...

Beautiful, both of you. You are both so lucky to have one another! (Blessed)