Saturday, August 25, 2012

Farmer's Market Finds & Garden Fun

So, I opted for slumber over Zumba this morning.

There's a tint of fall in the air so I opened some of the windows and it's delightful. However, Scotty growls and barks at every noise he hears in the mornings so I was up at 6:30am to take him for a walk which really turned into him trying to catch up to our neighbor and his dog. 
Not cool dude. 

So I fell back asleep and woke up at 9:36. I got up and headed to one of the local farmer's markets. I was hoping to get some nectarines and peaches but they had slim pickings. It's ok because I got all of this... 

...for $15. Score.
So. My plans are to make
-Lavender cupcakes with honey buttercream frosting
-Baked asparagus wrapped in prosciutto stuffed with rosemary goat cheese drizzled with balsamic vinegar
-Peach, balsamic, mozzarella, basil pizza
-Grilled tomato, mozzarella, basil sandwiches
YUM!

Then I did some cleaning around the apartment. It was still feeling cool so I took Scotty for a nice long walk. I changed my outfit because it started to get hot (Bummer. I was wearing a light sweater and loving it. Soon enough!). 

Then I headed to Brookgreen Gardens.
I haven't been here yet and everyone and their mother has told me to go. So go I did!
It was pretty cool. It used to be a rice plantation. 
The grounds are BEAUTIFUL. Acres of gardens, trails to walk, sculptures, and a zoo. I didn't make it to the butterfly display today because the man who gave me my ticket said they hadn't been out all week due to the rain. The ticket is good for another week so I might pop in next Saturday after work. 

Anyway. I enjoyed myself. 
Visiting the gardens made me really excited to go home for Christmas. I am planning to visit the beloved Boston Museum of Fine Arts. I love art. I thank GP for that, and my humanities classes in college for my appreciation of, admiration of, and love for art.  

One of the four original rice plantations.

I LOVE these trees.

"Pegasus"
It's the biggest sculpture there and I can vouch, it's HUUUUUGE. It took 9 years to complete. It was also my favorite. The facial expression of the rider is one of pure bliss and hope. Rightly so. Did you know.... Pegasus is the ancient symbol of inspiration? Now you do. AND the sculptor (Laura Gardin Fraser) purposefully designed this to symbolize a person born with vision and imagination soars with Pegasus (aka inspiration). Clever, no? 

 
Also I liked the reflection caught in the pool. A lot of the sculptures were like that.

Then I walked to "The Visionaries" garden and passed this IN-credibly fragrant bush.
I don't know what flowers these are, but holy catscans!!!, they are scrumptious smelling. I may or may not have picked one. Mmm! 


 

Please note the GIANT tadpole (circled for you convenience)

The description of this said he was a handsome lion. I agree. 
Look at that tucked giant and posture. Also his mane. Just like mine!

I LOVED this one. 

Exiting through a canopy of trees. How lovely.  

Then I had to stop at Fresh Market to get prosciutto because I can't wrap my asparagus in prosciutto without...prosciutto. I found some! As I was waiting in line to check out I spotted this and almost jumped for joy in line. 
My all time favorite gelato flavor ever, ever, ever is gianduia (second is pineapple basil, followed by sea salt caramel, in case you're curious). 
AND THEY HAVE A CANDY BAR OF IT!!!!!!?????!?!?!?!
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!
Yes I bought it. The small one. They had a big one too, but I decided to exert some self-control. 

  Oh buddy it's yummy!

Now I might read for a bit and then Scotty and I are watching "How to Train a Dragon." 
Ciao!

No comments: