Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Busted.

So. 
I got busted for slacking on blog posting and instagramming. It's true. I have been slacking. Mostly it's because I have been really busy at work and then when I come home I have 37 things to do and so I leave and then come home and then go to bed and repeat the next day. BUM-MER. Not cool. And partly I've just intentionally taken a hiatus. My boss told me I had some vacation and personal days that I still need to use by the end of the year so I took yesterday and today off. It's been lovely. I've kept myself busy but it's been relaxing and much needed.

Like I said in my last post, I am going to be a baking madwoman this week because...I had a brilliant idea and it involves lots of treats and I'm excited about it. On today's baking to-do list: baked pumpkin spice donut holes (just because I wanted to see if they are any good. They are!) and pumpkin spice sugar cookies (doubled because half will go to staffing on Thursday and half will be part of my brilliant idea). The sugar cookies will get baked tomorrow night so they are as fresh as possible. Pictures to follow later. 


Donut holes. YUMMMM!
They are ridiculously easy to make and pretty delish too. I'll be bringing these to work tomorrow to share. Recipe at the end!

 I got my birthday present in the mail from my brother and sister-in-law. Cool huh? I loooooove it!

And now we are going to talk about my faulty logic. I had planned on going to see Frankenweenie today but slept in, went for a short run--can we talk about this for a quick sec? I opted to run on the treadmill today with a goal of 6 miles. So at mile 1.68 an elderly gentleman walked in because sometimes they have meetings there and so I only got to run 2 miles. Bust. Sad day. Oh well..--, and then began baking. I was running behind on my tentative schedule and decided to not go to the movies and as a perk would save myself a few bucks. A few hours later I ran to the post office to send off a package and decided to "swing" by Kohls to see if they had these brown boots I found online. Two hours later...
Yes I took one of those dressing room pictures. Don't judge. In my defense, I have a really hard time shopping (for clothes) alone (seriously) because I like a second opinion besides mine/the mirror so I sent this to Clary and my mom. Clary and I agreed the dress was cute but nay to the boots. Dress purchased and two cute shirts. And patterned socks because 72% of my socks have holes in them. No dice. And sweater tights to wear with my dress. And everything was on sale! I love a good bargain. Faulty logic BUT...I kinda don't feel guilty.  yet



Baked Pumpkin Spice Donut Holes 
(adapted from The Craving Chronicles found here)

For Donuts
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoons ground cloves
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup canned plain pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 cup low-fat milk
For Coating
1/2 stick of unsalted butter, melted (aka 4 Tbsp)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon

Directions

Preheat oven 350°F. Spray each cup in a 24-cup mini muffin tin with baking spray or butter generously.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and spices (through cloves). In a separate, large bowl whisk together oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin and milk until smooth. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined – do not over mix!
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. (Using a 2-tablespoon scoop will ensure uniform size.) Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
While the muffins bake, melt butter in one bowl and combine granulated sugar and cinnamon in another bowl. Remove muffins from oven and cool for 2 minutes, or until just cool enough to handle. Dip each muffin in melted butter, then roll in cinnamon sugar to coat.


No comments: