Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The latest: leaf hunting and FAQ

Happy October!!!! My favorite month! 

Now that I'm in full fall decorating mode, I've been collecting pumpkins and gourds, candles, anything apple or pumpkin or pumpkin spice. I am thoroughly enjoying decorating our house! 

^^the house so far but truuuust me there are a few more pumpkins to come^^

A couple of days ago, I decided I needed some leaves to decorate and went leaf hunting through our neighborhood. Unfortunately about 1 tree every 5 blocks has kind of (but not really) changed colors so my search was mostly in vain, but I did find one tree that was bright red so I collected a lot of red leaves, 1 or 2 yellow ones, but no orange ones. Zip. Zilch. Nada. I hope some of the trees here turn orange too! (But I have a back up plan so we'll see how this goes, thank goodness for having family and friends in the Land of Fall Foliage). 



^^decorated mantel sans leaves as they are currently being pressed and dried^^

After I got back from my leaf hunting, I decided to do some exploring around our backyard and get some more ideas of what I want to do next spring. These are two of my favorite things about our back yard:
^^we have a rock wall!!^^

^^and little stone steps that lead to a little ledge (where flowers or something will be next year)^^

And now for the FAQ portion of my blog today. The two most common questions I have gotten since moving here are:

1. When do you start your job? (Or have you started? Or how is it? Or variations very similar to those)

No I have not started my job, yet. Yes it's annoying and a bit frustrating because being semi-employed but technically unemployed is a tad stressful. It's a government job so it TAKES FOREVER TO START. That's what Mark said, that's what one of his friends said, that's what my interviewers said, that's what everyone has said. Yes I have called and yes they are still doing background checks or whatever else they have left to do. No they didn't give me a time frame. I don't know. That's just how it goes. 

However. 

I am enjoying my time off. I have been going a million miles an hour since high school and to be honest, I am grateful for this break. And to be completely honest, a little part of me will be sad when I have to go back to work. So far now, I bask in my break. 

2. What do you do all day?

Interesting question and since being in my current situation, I now have a better understanding of why some people may find this question a bit annoying, and I feel bad for asking it once or twice before. I can assure you that while I do not have children, I keep myself quite busy and entertained. No I do not sleep in until 11 and then watch Netflix until Mark gets home. Actually, most days I don't watch TV or Netflix. Most days I wake up a little before 6:30 and go running with Tilly OR on the weekends Mark and I sleep in until...7:30. Occasionally I do sleep in until 8 and then stay in bed for a little while reading, checking social media, or Pinteresting. But I get restless easily so that doesn't last terribly long.

So, I wake up early and either run with Tilly, run solo, or do yoga. 

Then I get ready for the day and eat breakfast. Lately it's been (seasonal) a Pumpkin Spice bagel with whipped cream cheese. To. Die. For. I have leisurely mornings and it's grand. I read the paper or a book while I eat. I take my time doing my hair, sometimes I try new styles. I take my time picking out my outfits. In a society that sadly glorifies being brutally busy, it's nice not to be rushed. 

Then I usually run some errands. Fortunately, we live close to the library, post office, and grocery store so I either walk or ride my bike places. It's glorious! 

Often Tilly and I will do something before her girls nap or plan to do something while they nap. This is one of my favorite parts of my day!!! Earlier this week we went to Hobby Lobby. It was Tilly's first time!! 


^^Annie and I were in cart #2 playing with owls and dogs and yarn^^

^^She makes me giggle! No joke, she would not put that branch down^^

^^One WIDE awake and one out just in time for nap time^^

If my afternoons aren't spent hanging with Tilly and her girls, I find things to do and usually have a post-it note or mental list of things I need or want to do or places I want to see. That's how I discovered The Scoop, the awesome neighborhood ice cream shop, or the Rockwood Bakery down the street. Sometimes I go for walks to explore the neighborhoods. In fact that's how I discovered another cute little park a few blocks down and over with 2 stone bridges and a quaint pond with weeping willow trees. Sometimes I go to the bookstore, more often than not, the library. I have about 7 books out right now that I'm plugging through. One day I went to the bakery down the street, ordered a croissant, and read for an hour. It was wonderful! Last week I spent a couple of days learning new knitting patterns so I can finally graduate from the garter stitch and scarves to bigger and better things. I researched books and patterns for a couple of hours and then went to a couple of knitting shops, bought some supplies, and am preparing to knit a hat. And yes the idea of successfully knitting a hat on circular needles excites me since it'll be a first for both of those things! I've only been putting it off for 9 years. I can't wait! Then I'll move on to mittens, and socks, and cardigans, and sweaters, and big blankets, and bags; I'm thrilled!!! Mostly I like to stay in our neighborhood because driving down Division (one of the main streets) drives me nuts. Congested and way too many lights. 

Tilly and I have plans to watch all three of the Anne of Green Gables DVDs. We started the first one yesterday. Holy catscans I had forgotten how much I LOVE Anne, Gilbert, Marilla and Matthew, Diana, and the scenery of Price Edward Island! 

Plus, Tilly's never been to World Market so that is also on the list. As well as another trip (or two) to Greenbluff! 

I still like to keep up with the dietetics world, so I watch webinars or actually read the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (or skim it...). And since now I have the time, I plan weekly menus and actually cook so we aren't eating at 8 or 9 like we did living in Texas! And I bake. Not a ton or perhaps as much as I'd like because I'll eat it all, or Mark and I will eat it all, or I'll bring it to Tilly's house and she'll scold me for bringing more treats over (heehee!). Lately I've been into crisps because they are easy and tasty.  
^^apple crisp and strawberry crisp^^

I have time to do laundry, clean, cook, and have some Gabe time. It's so nice because then when Mark gets home, it's all Mark and Gabe time, instead of spending most of our time trying to get some chores done and then being too exhausted to do much else but go to bed. 

And now to fold that laundry before Mark gets home...

1 comment:

Erinn said...

People have really asked you what do you do all day? Uggghhhhh!!!