Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year

Hello again and Happy New Year!

Today was the first day of school. I actually didn't have my 5-hour lab today so my first class wasn't until 2. I woke up at 9, got ready, and then my roommate Emily got back! I was very excited!!! I did find it difficult to preoccupy myself until 2 however.
Buying books is, in all seriousness, a painful experience. Last semester I spent over $800 and these books are supposed to be used in my classes until graduate. Hooray right? Wrong. I had to buy some more books today and that hurt, literally. And it was for my nutrition classes. Ow, ow, ow!

But it snowed! I love snow. This was the big, fluffy, powdery snow that just kept falling. But then I had to drive in it and Provo doesn't plow very well so it was a tad scary but I made it.

Then...I locked my keys in the car. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! I was so mad because, well one: I had locked my keys in the car and two: my roommates and I were expecting some friends over for dinner and I was already pressed for time so this fiasco did not help. Luckily dinner got made (Baked Ziti from Crepes of Wrath), just a half hour late and the boys were fine with it. (On a side note-it turned out wonderfully! It was easy to make, delicious, and quite filling. In fact there are a lot of leftovers for the next few days!!!!). Also, thanks to being a AAA member, a nice man came and unlocked my car for me. It took him about 10 seconds. I was impressed and ever so grateful. I have that whole damsel in distress thing down really well. I didn't panic persay, but I was a tad flustered. Then again, who enjoys having kinks thrown at them? It is a part of life I understand but why on the first day of school, in a snow blizzard, right before I was trying to make dinner? Oh well, it worked out.

Now I just have another semester of school to look forward to. Truth be told, I don't like winter semester. I don't have much to look forward to in terms of vacations--just Martin Luther King Day and President's Day--and that makes me already feel burnt out. Oh the life of a college student. I can't wait until I'm done.

And, I'm always a tad homesick the first week back. I miss my house. When I'm home on vacation--Christmas or summer--I become a bit of a homebody. I just want to be at home with my family. It's comforting and secure; my own personal haven. I miss my family. I miss my dog. I miss my room. I miss the ocean. I miss the view from my windows. I miss New England. I miss that secure feeling of being home. I hoep your home is like that because it's lovely, indescribable really. I hope you have a haven for yourself. It's wonderful.

No comments: