Friday, September 16, 2011

The big 2-4


Today is my birthday and thank you ALL for the many wishes. I can say with absolutely honesty that this has probably been one of the best birthdays ever. I had the day off (and didn't even ask for it!), the weather is BEAUTIFUL out, I am overwhelmed with all the sweet messages, and it's been such a wonderful day.

Up at 7:30am. Thank you Scotty. Cards waiting for me when I came downstairs and a bag of chocolate raisins. Thank you Mom!!!
Ran 4 miles. GORGEOUS outside.
Met with my first client. AWESOME. It's going to be great. 
Then I had the afternoon to myself. What to do, what to do? Well I went to Newburyport and just wandered. And I wore a sweater because it was a tad chilly outside. Oh yay! I didn't find anything that screamed, "YOU HAVE TO HAVE ME!!!! IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY! SPLURGE ON ME! ME!" Not even a book! Well I did see an antique suitcase that was in stellar condition but the price was a tad steep. But then I went into this cute shop and found some glamorous earrings I've been searching for and decided to get them. 

But.

The best surprise was waiting for me when I got home.

Here's the thing. The only financial advice the director of my dietetics program at BYU gave us was when we get our first real paycheck, splurge and buy something because it's really the only paycheck you can feel good about splurging. EXCELLENT. So I thought long and hard (a scooter? Nah. A nice dress? Eh, no. Not a handbag; I'm not a huge purse person. Shoes? Well, that's not that exciting), and then....I KNEW. A KitchenAid mixer. But not just any mixer, an ORANGE one. Good idea huh? I thought so.

But.

I didn't order this. Neither did my mom because she knows my plan. And the only other few people who I have shared plan with would not have sent it anonymously. There was no name anywhere to be found. And whomever purchased this got everything exactly as I wanted it, down to the bowl (the screw in kind no the clip in kind). So to you anonymous gift-giver, whomever you are, this is a VERY generous and incredible gift. I stopped breathing when I realized it was my name on the box and then my eyes almost popped out of my head when I realized it was orange!!! I can assure you that in true Gabe-fashion, I giggled, beamed, grinned from ear-to-ear, and giggled some more. And may have shed a tear or two (the older I get the more emotion I seem to become...) out of absolute joy and gratitude. Thank you. Thank you so much. Thank you times infinity. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU. Thank you.

  
Thank you all. You have MADE my birthday and I'll surely never forget it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fun!! I got a surprise Kitchen Aid too! Glad your birthday was awesome :)

The HimeBLOG said...

Gabe! Just found your blog! I miss you - glad you're doing so well! And glad you had a great birthday!