Tuesday, January 17, 2012

What's a holiday?

Working at a hospital you sometimes forget that there are such things called holidays where places actually close in honor of these wonderful people or events. Such was the case yesterday. Excitedly, I zipped over to the library to get a library card only to find the library parking lot all but abandoned. I thought that very strange and as I approached the doors--locked--I realized it was Martin Luther King Jr. Day and thus it was closed.

Drat.

So I was DELIGHTED today when after work I not only found a short-cut to the library from work, but it was open. Hooray! I approached the desk trying with some level of difficulty to contain my excitement and eagerness and then explained I would like to get a card. I patiently waited and then the librarian had me sign the back of my card and I almost clicked my heels. Then she was explaining to me all the services of the library and I think she could tell I was super excited because there was a smile playing on her lips and a twinkle in her eye as I was about ready to rip the card out of her hands like a greedy kid getting a plate full of cookies. OH HAPPY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Little did she know I already knew where the closest libraries are located, how the online catalog works, and that I had already searched for a few books I wanted to check out before I even moved to the state. I have my priorities. I was on a mission. So I thanked the librarian and all but bounced over to the computer to search for books, placed 2 on hold and scoured the floor looking for the remaining books on my list. Success! Currently I'm hooked on the Isabel Dalhousie series by Alexander McCall Smith, the same author of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. His books are delightful, insightful, cozy, amusing, and comforting. I highly recommend them. 

There are a few places I look for immediately, or before I even arrive, at a location: the nearest grocery stores, clothing stores, and public libraries. Having a library card is a must. 

Off to prepare for my CPR class, read a little from ASPEN, and then...reading for pleasure.

I am one very happy girl.
(Please pardon the natural craziness curl of my red mane. I embrace it.) 

1 comment:

AB said...

Sounds like things are going really well in South Carolina. I loved your post about Red Sox fans banding together. That definitely helped me when getting a job, my dentist LOVES the Red Sox. I am working on updating my CPR course right now and it keeps putting me to sleep... agh just one more section left so I can take the test and get it over with!