Thursday, January 19, 2012

White Lab Coat

Today was my first official day training as the newest dietitian on staff. Monday-Wednesday was a general hospital orientation and I eagerly waited to start the specific training. I was terribly excited to once again don my white lab coat only this time I wouldn't be an intern; I would be the real thing: Gabe S, RD, LD. I'm registered, I'm licensed, and I am so ready. 


Naturally, I was a little nervous and it didn't help that I didn't sleep well last night, but I am very fortunate to have completed my internship at UMC because I definitely am and feel over-prepared and ready to rock it!! I felt very comfortable as the dietitians were showing me how they do things and after a year of not practicing clinical, it's all starting to come back to me. Except...they asked me to do a patient's ideal body weight and adjusted body weight and I panicked because I couldn't remember exactly how to do it and I didn't have my cheat sheet/clinical pocket guide with me but I managed just fine. Whew. I certainly have some refreshing to do and, of course, hospital specific practices to learn but I'm feeling pretty good. 


Plus there are several New England transplants here and it was music to my ears to hear one of the nurse's Massachusetts accent. I informed her that if I ever felt a pang of homesickness I would find her and just listen to her talk for a minute. She laughed and agreed. 


I got to sit in rounds today with the head doctor of the rehab floors I'll be covering and I already like him. He's VERY sassy, sarcastic, and quick. Bring it on Doctor. He found out I did my undergrad at BYU and naturally Jimmer came up and we began a very lively conversation. I'm excited to work with him. And I was highly amused when each time someone or a new team came into the room the doctor would loudly announce my presence and introduce everyone. I certainly felt welcome, in the most obnoxious way possible. I think it'll be a lot of fun! 


What a good day. And a lovely sunset/view from my place. It's supposed to be in the 70s this weekend. I'll be strolling the Atlantic. Maybe I'll get some more freckles.

And I had Cheerios for dinner. But not regular Cheerios or Honey Nut but banana and chocolate. Oh yeah. Cereal for dinner? Yum. CHOCOLATE for dinner? Even bettah. 


And my song of the day is "Enchanted" by Taylor Swift. If you hang around here long enough you'll hear it on my playlist! 


1 comment:

rddnhus said...

whaaaa.....
gotta find those Cheerios!